I'm just eight days away from Beijing. There's so much to do w/ so little time left! Exactly three years ago, I was preparing to study abroad in England for six months. Back then, though, I was so excited for England and really, my feelings of apprehension were almost nonexistent. I knew that England was so similar to the U.S., and that studying in England would provide an easy gateway for me to visit all of Europe. Now, three years later, as I prepare for China, I'm consumed with worry and nervousness. Everyone tells me that I'll be in for major culture shock, and I believe them. To be honest, sometimes I regret not applying to the Sydney Google office instead. It would be 110% easier, much more like the U.S., and frankly, I doubt that I'd face any serious challenges there, compared to China. Even the weather would be a total 180! But, I try to remind myself that I'd be shortchanging myself and throwing away an amazing opportunity if I had decided to go to Sydney instead. I'm hoping that when I return to the U.S. in late March, I'll feel so fortunate to have been able to witness China's growth and change firsthand, and feel silly for having all these doubts about China.
Some of my concerns:
-huge language barrier
-safety (even crossing the street in China is a heart-palpitating adventure)
-health and sanitation standards (the company provided me with two personal syringes in the case that I'd ever need it as hospitals there do not have the health standards that the U.S. does)
-non-potable water
-getting really sick (I got really sick in England when I went to study abroad and China is a whole other beast)
-the infamous Great Firewall of China...
-needing to be very careful of what I say, write, or read
-not being to assimilate well into the Chinese business culture
-not succeeding in the Beijing office
-surviving the biting cold (-4 degrees doesn't sound like my cup of tea!)
Of course, I still am (and should be) looking forward to a ton of things in China:
-seeing such historic sites as the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, etc. in person for the first time
-visiting Shanghai and Hong Kong for the first time
-the amazing food
-significantly improving my Mandarin skills
-gaining bargaining skills
-witnessing firsthand China's change and development
-really pushing myself to grow in an environment where I am a true outsider
-learning about my culture from the truest source
-experiencing the Chinese business culture firsthand
-making Chinese friends and learning about their backgrounds, upbringings, and beliefs
-the indescribable feeling of personal accomplishment I'll have when I leave China on March 29 in one piece, hopefully much wiser and stronger -- and able to tackle really any challenge that's thrown at me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Just remember. When handing someone your business card, if they're older, don't make eye contact. Hold the card with both hands, extended, with lettering facing the recipient.
Also, haggle a lot when buying souvenirs. You can probably get over 50% discount on stuff if you're good enough.
Haha, Carolyn-- you crack me up. This is the stuff I write down too, especially on nights that I can't sleep. It makes me feel good to see that somebody else has this habit.
Post a Comment